Lead in Toys

lead in toysLead, a metal that was heavily used in the past and can still be found in many products today. Because of its widespread presence and toxicity, lead poisoning can have many types of health detriments if inhaled or swallowed. It is increasingly important to establish standards for the amount of lead allowed in products or toys marketed to children. Babies and children are more susceptible to its toxicity, and it can be very harmful to the neurological development of children under 6 (1,2).

The CDC recommends public health initiative when levels of lead become 5 micrograms per deciliter or higher (3). Alarmingly, approximately half a million children (ages 1-5) are exposed to this CDC threshold (3). Although these numbers can appear to be frightening, the number of lead exposure cases has seen a steady decrease in the United States since 1997 with the lowest levels dropping in Arizona at 0.13% (n=61,905) of children exposed to amounts of lead equal to or greater than 10 micrograms per deciliter in 2013 (4).

As with most substances, we can protect our children and ourselves once we learn about the substance, its uses, and its harmful effects. This is why as we learn more and more about lead we require certain levels of standards for our products to effectively provide a safer environment for future generations.

If you have a product that needs testing for lead, we offer in-house lead analysis. Contact us with any questions, concerns, or inquiries at (800) 644-4174.

References: